DStv is direct to home broadcast satellite service that offers more than 200 television, audio, and radio stations. The service is one of the best in Sub-Saharan Africa that enables subscribers to watch movies, TV shows, live programmes, and other content. But while you can enjoy lots of channels on DStv, there are times when you may encounter situations when your DStv remote will not respond when needed the most.
When your DStv remote is not working, it can be inconvenient for you to continue watching or changing to a different channel. Technically, several reasons can explain why your remote control is not working. First, the power in your batteries may have depleted, or you have incorrectly inserted them. Also, the transmission window or the upper edge of the remote control may be dirty. If you are using an old remote control, the positive and negative terminals may have rusted. Luckily, you can fix some of these issues by yourself at home.
Follow these steps to fix a DStv remote not responding:
- Check your batteries: You should check your batteries to ensure they have enough power. If the batteries are low, they will not work when changing channels, increasing the volume, or reading a message. Also, remove your batteries and check whether you have inserted them properly. The positive and negative ends should be on their corresponding ends on the terminals.
- Check for an electronics glitch An electronics glitch can occur on a DStv remote’s signal before that signal reaches the DStv decoder. You can correct it using the following steps.
- Remove the batteries from the remote
- Press and hold the Menu button for about 30 seconds without the batteries
- Release the button Reinsert the batteries correctly.
The steps above should fix the remote. If it works, it means that you have cleared the glitch by discharging it.
- Check the sensor If the remote doesn’t change channels after the above two fixes, check whether its sensor is transmitting infrared light. You can do this experiment by using your phone camera. Follow the steps below.
- Open your camera application
- Point the DStv remote at the phone’s camera lens from about 25 centimetres
- Press the Menu button You should see the infrared light flashing on your camera’s LCD screen
If it flashes the light, it means your DStv remote is working well, and you may have a problem with your decoder’s remote sensor. But if it does not flash the light, you need to buy a new remote or replace it with a functional one.
- Use a different remote. If you have another DStv remote that works well with your decoder, try using it. Put the remote on TV mode and press the volume or power button. It should either turn the decoder on or off.
You will know you have a problem with the other remote if the new one turns the decoder on or off. But if the volume button is not working, the issue could be the sensor.
- Clean the transmission window Your DStv decoder and remote use infrared signals to communicate. If the transmission window is not clear, that communication cannot happen. Thus, you need to clean the upper edge of the remote control and try again.
- Check for signal interference When using your DStv remote, there should not be any objects between its sensor and that of the TV. An object will block the infrared signal. In rare situations, electronic equipment around you can disrupt your remote’s signal. A mobile device and radio around the decoder are common culprits. Remove them from the decoder and try again.
- Reset the remote (A6 remote) Sometimes the best solution for fixing the DStv remote is to reset it. When you reset, you will fix locked and corrupted settings with the device. But how do I reset my DStv remote control? Here are some steps to follow.
- Press and hold the ARC and the Power button for about five seconds
- You will see the remote changing to a yellow-brown colour
- Release the Power button and continue pressing the ARC button
- When your finger is on the ARC button, dial the number 9499 You will see three green lights flashing
- Release the ARC button The steps above should fix the remote and correct any locked or corrupted settings.
You should try using the remote again and see what happens.
- Reprogram the remote If your DStv remote is not working on the second TV, it could be that you haven’t programmed it with your decoder yet. If you are using the same decoder on two TVs, then the second TV will simply use its TV remote to alternate between channels.
- Fixing red flash on A6 DStv remote Technically, there are three instances when a DStv remote flashes red. The first occurs when you are programming the remote. You will see two red blinks at any programming stage indicating an error. In that case, you will need to start the entire programming sequence again. The second instance occurs when using the remote. You will see two red blinks when trying to switch on the Power/ Standby relay or the Volume relay buttons. When that happens, it means that you have not programmed anything on those two buttons. Or, the programming sequence has a problem that needs fixing.
Thirdly, you will see one red blink when using the remote. That means your remote is already in volume or standby relay mode. However, you have not programmed anything on those buttons. Or, the programming sequence has an error. DStv has specific ways of programming the A6 remote. A procedure on how to programme the remote is available under this link. You can also visit your nearest DStv dealer or Multichoice Ghana offices around the country for assistance.