At least 5 people have died after eating rice and beans, popularly called ‘waakye’ at Oyibi, in Accra.
Daily Graphic says that over 50 people have been affected, while 5 people, including a pregnant woman, have lost their lives.
Some of the victims rushed to the hospital included the waakye seller, popularly known as ‘Yellow Sisi’, and some members of her family. They were said to have been rushed to the Valley View Hospital, Oyibi Hospital, Dodowa Hospital, and other facilities after complaining of severe stomach aches eating the food on Friday, January 20, 2023.
Daily Graphic visited the Oyibi Bush Canteen where Yellow Sisi is located, and discovered that it was closed alongside other shops.
A visit to the Valley View Hospital confirmed the report by hospital officials that a number of patients were rushed to the hospital in bad condition, but “as of today, all the patients have been discharged,” an official said.
“As of now, some other people are still visiting the hospital, and, therefore, until all the necessary laboratory tests are complete, we cannot give specific data on the number of people who have been affected or whether it was indeed a case of food poisoning,” Dr Esther Danquah from the district hospital said.
The Yellow Sisi Waakye is one of the most popular food vendors at Oyibi.